Note: Connecting to any type of computer network, wireless in this case, without implementing security is not a recommended practice. This document is provided for basic configuration purposes.Navigate to the Network and Sharing Center using several different methods:
- Start籆ontrol Panel籒etwork and Internet籒etwork and Sharing Center籑anage wireless networks
- Start籒etwork籒etwork and Sharing Center籑anage wireless networks
- Right-click mouse on System Tray icon (2 computer monitors image at lower right of screen)籒etwork and Sharing Center籑anage wireless networks
Click Add (as shown in above image) and choose one of three connection methods. We will focus on number one.
- Add a network that is in range of this computer
- Manually create a network profile
- Create an ad hoc network (peer-peer network)
This selection shows a list of unsecured networks within the local area. Many network names, known as SSIDs, have security enabled. Connecting to such networks requires the user know the correct passphrase or preshared key. Configuring security is covered in another How To document.
- Select wireless-n and click Connect.
- You will see a popup window warning that this is an unsecured network.
- Click Connect Anyway.
- A status window will appear and then 'Successfully connected to wireless-n' is displayed. Check the 'Save this network' box. You may also check 'Start this connection automatically' if you would like to attempt connection to this network automatically when using wireless. Click Close.
- Return to 'Manage wireless networks' window and you will now see wireless-n has been added.
Windows Vista* Starter, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Basic, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Premium, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Business, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Enterprise, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Ultimate, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Basic, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Premium, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Business, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Enterprise, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Ultimate, 64-bit version
This applies to:Intel®PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
Intel®PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Intel®PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
Intel®PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Intel®Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN