Note: Make sure you have a wired connection to the wireless router or access point (AP) before moving forward. Use the cable provided by your hardware manufacturer. One end should be connected to your computer's Ethernet port and the other to the router or AP's Ethernet port.
Note: Connecting to any type of computer network, wireless in this case, without implementing security is not a recommended practice. This document is provided for basic configuration purposes. Navigate to the Network and Sharing Center using several different methods (images are shown):
- Start籆ontrol Panel籒etwork and Internet籗et up a connection or network
- Start籒etwork籒etwork and Sharing Center籗et up a connection or network
- Right-click mouse on System Tray icon (2 computer monitors image at lower right of screen)籒etwork and Sharing Center籗et up a connection or network
- Click 'Set up a wireless router or access point' as shown in the window below. Then click Next.
- The below window explains the set up wizard. You may view Microsoft's 'What do I need to set up a network' detailed information for helpful hints. Click Next.
- Choose whether or not you would like to turn on network discovery, which is utilized for network sharing. 'Yes...' is chosen for this document.
- Allow Windows Vista* to run through its network hardware detection process.
- The operating system may not be able to automatically configure the router or access point.
- Choose 'Configure this device manually' and Windows Vista opens a Web browser window to establish a connection with your access device. You should be prompted for a username and password (vary by vendor). Configure it according to the given suggestions (e.g. Network Name (SSID) and Security Type in this case). Contact your router or access point manufacturer for specific instructions as they differ by vendor.
牋Note: If your access device has a USB port for flash drive configuration, you may choose the second?option below.
Windows Vista* Starter, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Basic, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Premium, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Business, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Enterprise, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Ultimate, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Basic, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Premium, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Business, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Enterprise, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Ultimate, 64-bit version
This applies to:Intel®PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
Intel®PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Intel®PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
Intel®PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Intel®Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN